Enlightened givers are people who feel the rapture of being alive when they give. They love giving to help those in need and for those who ask.
A book review called “Asking” written by Jerold Panas – Hailed in Newsweek as “the Robert Schuller of fundraising.” Jerry lives with his wife, Felicity in a 1770 Farmhouse in northwest Connecticut.
Jerry wrote this, (I’ve added a few lines), I got many insights from his book. Whether you are fundraising or using these ideas in your business, it would help you to modify what you believe and how you relate to people.
- Are people who feel the rapture of being alive when they give. They love giving to help those in need and for those who ask.
- They love to give, they would rather say YES than NO! Their money, referrals are given knowing that it will make a difference for someone, it may even change someone’s life. They also know, those who refuse to give money, referrals or whatever that is being asked of them, will miss out from life’s great rewards.
- Givers don’t put it off, or say let me think about it, or I don’t think I can help you, if it is money perhaps they do need to talk to their spouses or partners..however they get back to the people who asked for help. They don’t put it off, they jump in some way to help.
- Enlightened givers, don’t wait and make the person who asked for help to call back many times only to get a NO for an answer or avoids their calls all together.
- Givers usually give more than what has been asked of them, they like to give just for the sheer fun of it.
- Givers listen and asks questions, what to know more about you and your project or what kind of help you need. If they can’t help you, they will actively find people or meet your request. They don’t say “Good luck with that!” or “I don’t do that kind of thing,” and then turn around and ask you for referrals. These people are takers and spend too much time focusing on their lack or what they don’t have.
- Givers expect to be asked for help.
- God never closes one door without opening another. If the person you have asked is not responsive, then move on. Just thank them for their time.
In all you do act as if it’s impossible to fail. When all is said and done, here’s how easily it is:
The Right Person
asks The Right Prospect for
The Right Amount in
The Right Way at
The Right Time for
The Right Cause with
The Right Follow-up
And you ____ are the right person
Watch and look out for networking angels are those who are excellent at what they do, please do reach out to them.
“If nature has made you for a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart; and though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full, and you can give things out of that—warm things, kind things, sweet things—help and comfort and laughter—and sometimes gay, kind laughter is the best help of all.”